Sunday, July 26, 2009

Swimming makes us cry!




Yesterday my brother Mike and his wife Cindy, and their three kids - Christopher, Katherine, and Caroline, plus my dearest Dan, decided we would go swimming in Dennis pond on Cape Cod. So we drove two hours to their summer house with the donated beach wheelchair and secret hopes that I would be able to get near the water. The beach wheelchair is enormous and took up the entire space of our wheelchair van!

We arrived to big smiles and eager hands which helped with the transfer to the beach wheelchair ( I was already in my bathing suit from the start of the day!). We had a wonderful picnic on the beach, making strategies for the big attempt into the water. Needless to say, everyone helped me into the water, off of the chair, and then I was swimming and floating and walking and laughing and then we just all had a tear in our eye! To get me back onto the chair, even some strangers and the lifeguard helped stabilize the water throne which tried to float away! Then down the road to a great barbeque at my Mom's house and her famous potato salad and a 9 p..m. viewing of the space shuttle!

What a great day!!! No matter that last summer I swam far out to the boulders in the pond and this year I swam ten feet with a life jacket on. My dear husband and family made it possible for me to yell, "This summer I went swimming! This summer I might have drowned, but I kicked my legs and I moved my arms, yeah! I moved my arms around!"

No comments:

Post a Comment