Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Driving down the highway of life!!!!

I did it!!!! I drove on the highway, Route 95 South, by myself, for 150 plus miles. I drove all the way from Portland, Maine to my home outside of Boston!!!! Yippee!

On Sunday, we dropped off Joe and Melissa at the Portland airport and had two cars! Dan drove one car home and I had to drive the other!
I got in my power wheelchair, clicked into the Permalock system bolted on the floor, grabbed the knob with my right hand, brake with left hand, said a prayer, and off I went - down the highway to home, sixty miles an hour!!! The longest hand control driving experience and solo!!! The next challenge - driving to work in Providence in one week!

2 comments:

  1. I was just told of this blog and showed it to my daughter Audrey (age 7) Last year her first grade class visited the Special Ed. classroom at her school. Somehow she missed the 'dis' in disability and refers to this group of students as the "Ability" kids. "You know mom, the kids who ride the "Ability" bus!" Now, in Audrey's mind her Aunt Debbie is an "Ability" person who drives her own "Ability" van! Go Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Audrey's definintion of "ability" is: the power to do anything!

    ReplyDelete