Tuesday, February 2, 2010

We made it to New York City!!!

For the past eight years, my kindergarten friend, Pam, and her husband, Matt have met Dan and I in NYC for a winter weekend of jazz, theater, and fun!!!  We live near Boston and they live near DC, so it is the perfect place to meet.  What would happen this year with advanced ALS?

Getting a hotel for one night, seemed too much work!!!! Size of room for power wheelchair, adaptive seating for showers, toilet risers, height of bed, etc. etc. etc.  But should we just give up on going to the Big Apple?  Maybe???

But I love many things about Nigeria, and I had read several glowing reviews about a new musical about the grandfather of Afrobeat, Fela!  I really wanted to see the musical about his life, called FELA, hear the music, see the African dancing, and reflect on his political, musical, and raunchy life.  Some say Fela is the Bob Marley of Nigeria.

So we went for just the day - Amtrack at 8 a.m., time for a fast lunch, the play, and a few drinks and snacks afterwards before boarding Amtrack at 8 p.m.  We never took a cab, just walked the seventeen blocks in 15 degree temperature and the north wind.  Disability services on Amtrack were good, and it was a smooth trip, thanks to a little help from my friends, Pam and Matt, and of course, my dear Dan.  What did I learn?  Never say never, maybe there is another way!

No comments:

Post a Comment